Friday, March 2, 2012

Grumpy Monkey Puss (GMP)


That's the name of the cover band I've been singing with for a little over a year. For the past year or so, we've been holding practice most Friday nights with the intention of eventually playing out somewhere, but for the most part it was something we did for fun. Over the holidays, we finally decided to book our first gig at a local bar called Joe's. We ended up playing at Joe's a couple of weekends ago on February 18th, 2012. I think we were all pretty anxious about the gig and were curious as to how we would do for the first time playing out. We spread the word through Facebook, texts, and emails, and ended up getting a really big crowd to come out and support us (it was actually a lot more than Joe's expected, because they weren't very well prepared for our huge fan base lol). I've sang in front of people at karaoke weekly the past few years without getting nervous, but for some reason I was a nervous wreck all day beforehand. I was fortunate enough to have awesome support from my friends, my family (and even family who traveled from Pittsburgh and North Carolina) and my boyfriend, but I just couldn't calm down. It wasn't until I sang my first song (Tracy Chapman's "Give Me One Reason") that I finally calmed down and started to enjoy the moment. Overall, we did a great job for it being our first gig, and I think we all had a great time. Hearing all of that applause and cheers after each song is definitely an addicting feeling.

This gig also made me realize how blessed I am to have such a great support system...from family members to close friends to my boyfriend. Many of the people I love came out to support our band and it was very comforting seeing their faces in the crowd. I made sure I let each and every one of them know how much I appreciated it...they all rock! :-)

We haven't booked our next gig yet because we're working on new songs for a third set, but I'm sure we'll continue to have a great time playing out in front of our friends and family...and who knows, maybe we'll gain a bit of a fan base! ;-) Below, I included the link to our band page on Facebook which includes a lot of pictures from this first gig, so if you're on FB make sure you "like" our page! I also included YouTube links to some video that was shot from our gig.

GMP's Facebook Band Page

GMP - One Way or Another
GMP - Give Me One Reason
GMP - Sweet Home Alabama/Gimme Three Steps
GMP - Keep On Rockin' In The Free World (with our opening band, "Shoot For Noon" and my boyfriend, Adam, on drums)

No comments:

Post a Comment