Monday, March 19, 2012

Jenn Grinels


My very first assignment at the Indie Music Reviewer, was to review Jenn Grinels' latest album release, "brokenHEARTbreaker." Well, I think I know why I've had so much fun working for IMR so far...because Grinels' album was right up my alley. I fell in love with her music instantly. Unfortunately, I couldn't write in first person, because I had so many personal thoughts I wanted to add to my review, but we have to write in third person. Anyway, as I wrote in my review, I felt like Jenn was a mix between Sara Bareilles and Fiona Apple with a lot of emotion conveyed in the lyrics and lots of piano in most of the tracks.

One of my favorite tracks (although I really liked every single one) was "Don't Wanna Be Happy." This song had a very "old school" feeling to it...I couldn't really figure out what decade, but it sounded like it belonged in the music era many decades ago. So, even though it had an older feel to it, I thought it was very refreshing because there really isn't much music out there right now that sounds like this song. I also really enjoyed how predominate the clarinet is in "Don't Wanna Be Happy" because I used to play clarinet for about 5 or 6 years back in elementary school, middle school, and part of high school. I think it adds a true beauty to the song. Everything about this song is refreshing and I could listen to it all day long.

Overall, "brokenHEARTbreaker" is one of those gem's that you can actually listen to straight through and not skip any songs. Jenn Grinels' has the gift of conveying every kind of emotion through music perfectly. I dare you to find a song on this album that you cannot relate to. I go into a lot more detail about the album on my review for IMR, so be sure to click on the link below for my review. As always, I'd appreciate it if you could show some love by FB "liking" the review at the bottom of the page! :-) I also included Jenns' official website, her ReverbNation website address, and some YouTube videos I found of her performing.

My review of "brokenHEARTbreaker" on IMR
Jenn Grinels' Official Website
Jenn Grinels on Reverbnation
Jenn performing "Don't Wanna Be Happy"
Jenn Grinels performing at the APCA Nationals '09
Jenn performing "Right From The Start"

No comments:

Post a Comment