Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Janiva Magness


I heard Janiva on XPN one day and I knew I had to download her tunes right away. If you enjoy a true blues musician, Janiva Magness is your girl. She has been in the business for over three decades, but her sound never gets old. Her voice possesses an earthy, raw honesty and beauty born from her life experience. She received the coveted 2009 Blues Music Awards for B.B. King Entertainer Of The Year (she is only the second woman to ever win this award, Koko Taylor being the first) and for Contemporary Blues Female Artist Of The Year, an honor she also received in 2006 and 2007. As the Philadelphia Inquirer said, "Magness sings superb, potent soul-blues with a scorching intensity." Her newest CD is called "The Devil Is An Angel Too." After hearing her one song on XPN, I had to buy her entire new album (and I bought a few other songs from other albums, too). So, I definitely suggest you buy her stuff if you enjoy this type of music. As always, here are some links below so you can get a taste of her sound.

Janiva Magness' MySpace Page
Janiva Magness performing "You Were Never Mine" Live
Janiva Magness performing "Can't Stop Cryin'" Live
Janiva Magness performing "I'm Lost Without You" Live

No comments:

Post a Comment