Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Sara Bareilles


The first time I saw Sara Bareilles perform live was in the summer of 2007 when she opened for Maroon 5 and Counting Crows. That was the same year her first major album was released, "Little Voice" which featured her single, "Love Song." While Sara is best known for that single, she has so many more fantastic songs on that album and her most recent album, "Kaleidoscope Heart." For me personally, I can go through both of her albums without skipping any songs. The music is amazing as well as the lyrics. Her songs are very relatable, which is something I really enjoy in any musicians I follow. Anyway, last Monday, October 17, 2011, I saw Sara Bareilles at the Electric Factory in Philadelphia. Her two opening acts were Elizabeth and the Catapult (their music was very similar to Sara's) and Ben Lee. I enjoyed Elizabeth and the Catapult more than Ben Lee - Ben's songs that he performed kind of bored me a bit. Sara performed a lot of her songs from her first album as well as her recent album. In between songs, she chatted with the crowd and joked around. She's got this funny, quirky side to her, so I enjoyed the banter. She also has a bit of a potty mouth, so be careful if you're taking a kid to her show (I thought it was funny, but some parents might not lol). One of the performances that really stuck out for me was the first song after the encore. Sara came out on stage by herself and started singing the song off her first album, "Gravity." It was nothing but her voice and it was amazing. It's a very sad, haunting song, so it was very fitting the way she performed it. Overall, she did not disappoint at all, and I would gladly go see her again when she comes back to Philly. I wasn't able to take any video or pictures at this show because I wasn't close enough to get a good video, but I found some videos that someone else put up on YouTube from the exact same show I went to, so I included those instead. I also included the set list below.

Sara Bareilles' Set List - Electric Factory, Philadelphia, PA - Monday, October 17, 2011
Uncharted
Vegas
Gonna Get Over You
Machine Gun
Many the Miles
Breathe Again
Basket Case
Bluebird
Little Lion Man (cover by Mumford and Sons)
Love Song
Come Round Soon
Bottle It Up
King of Anything
-Encore-
Gravity (a cappella)
New Song (not sure of the title...something like beautiful girl)
Let the Rain

Sara performing "King of Anything"
Sara performing "Gravity"
Sara performing "Let the Rain"
Sara performing her new song, "Beautiful Girl"
Sara's cover of Mumford and Son's "Little Lion Man"

No comments:

Post a Comment