Wednesday, January 11, 2012

FAMILY


I've always known how lucky I was to be a part of a family that was filled of musicians and people who worked in the music business. Maybe that's one of the many reasons why I have always been such a huge fan of all types of music. Growing up, I was always introduced and exposed to many different genres of music so I learned to appreciate it.

My parents always listened to all types of music when I was younger, whether it was the music of the 50's and 60's (my mom's personal favorite), the classic rock and motown genre (thanks to my dad's taste), or recent hits of that current year. To this day (and starting at a younger age) my dad still quizzes me on who sings whatever song is on the radio. My dad actually took me to my first concert when I was 15 years old. We saw The Monkees at the Mann Music Center in Philadelphia, PA...yes, a 15-year-old wanted to see The Monkees in 1997. I'm pretty sure I was the youngest person there and I was surrounded by middle aged women. Then there was the influence of Uncle Ed, who had been a concert promoter since the 70's and had so many stories to share with me about the different musicians he met over the years and the great shows he saw. Not only is he in the concert business, but he's also a great musician with the amazing ability to play drums or guitar by ear. Once CD's came into play, I always remember Uncle Ed either mailing me CD's or giving me CD's when I visited him in Pittsburgh. I was always amazed with the giant collect of music he had at his house. I spent hours looking through all that music and listening to new music I had never heard of with him.

Then there are the cousins who are also in the music business whether it's working with concerts or being musicians themselves. I'm especially proud of my one cousin, Taylor, who has been in an independent band called Airiel Down for the last six or seven years playing drums. I've seen him play small shows with twenty people in the crowd at small bars, larger sold out shows in the band's hometown of Raleigh, and the most exciting - winning a local contest and being able to open for KISS at one of Raleigh's popular indoor/outdoor venues. How many people can say they've seen a family member open for KISS? Not many.

I decided to post this blog entry from a recent experience I had at my family's house in Pittsburgh over the holidays. I had been in town for our family Christmas get together and decided to stay an extra night to experience the popular annual "Jam Session" that usually took place around this time of year at my aunt and uncle's house. My cousins' friends all come over and any of them who play instruments, bring them over to "jam" with my cousins and my uncle. It was so much fun watching my family and their friends mess around playing all different songs ("Hotel California," "Runnin' Down a Dream," "Ring of Fire," and "The Redemption Song" being a few). For the most part, my two cousins and my uncle were just playing these by ear, which always amazes me. Here are some of the videos I took from the "Jam Session."
Jam Session #1 - Hotel California
Jam Session #2 - Runnin' Down a Dream
Jam Session #3 - Ring of Fire
Jam Session #4
Jam Session #5 with some freestyle rapping
Jam Session - Uncle Ed jamming with one of my cousin's friends

There are probably so many other stories and family members I could talk about in this entry, but I'd be here forever. Overall, this is just a reminder of how lucky I am to have so many different family members in my life who have influenced my eclectic taste in music and have given me so many music memories. With the topic of family and music, I decided to include a playlist of some of my family's favorite songs just to show how eclectic our taste is. It was so interesting to hear from so many family members and see all the different types of music that we listen to. As expected, I think it was difficult for many of my family to choose only one favorite song, but they ended up coming up with one or two. I added one of my favorites to the list. It was definitely difficult for me to choose only one since my collection goes on and on. I also enjoyed hearing the stories that went along with some of these favorites. That's the other thing about music...there are so many songs out there that bring back a memory when we hear them. Along with my family members' names, I also included a YouTube link to as many songs as I could find. Just click on the song if you'd like to hear any of these choices. Enjoy! :-)

Me - Butterflies and Airplanes by The Clarks
Jack L. - My Girl by The Temptations
Jack L. - Sharp Dressed Man by ZZ Top
Donna L. - (I Can't Help) Falling in Love With You by Elvis Presley
John L. - Juke Box Hero by Foreigner
Ed T. - Jungleland by Bruce Springsteen
Mary Pat T. - The Sound of Sunshine by Michael Franti
Mary Pat T. - Your Smiling Face by James Taylor
Taylor T. - Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd
Cydnee B. - Please Forgive Me by David Gray (Live Version)
Patrick B. - Stockholm Syndrome by Muse
Cory T. - We've Got To Live Together by Buddy Miles
Tim L. - Breakdown by Tom Petty
Adam L. - Breakdown by Tom Petty
Ange L. - Dream On by Aerosmith
Sarah T. - Be With You by Mr. Big
Mike K. - Old Time Rock 'N Roll by Bob Segar (ALF version LOL)
Terry K. - Like My Dog by Billy Currington
Pat K. - Sweet Caroline by Neil Diamond
Pat K. - Unchained Melody by The Righteous Brothers
Patrick K. - DMV by Primus
Erin K. - September by Earth, Wind, and Fire
Cindy K. - Life is a Journey
Jim P. - Paradise by the Dashboard Light by Meatloaf
Katy P. - Don't Stop Believin' by the Glee Cast
Ron C. - Born to Run by Bruce Springsteen
Luanne C. - Midnight Train to Georgia by Gladys Knights & The Pips
Nicole C. - Say Goodbye by Dave Matthews Band
Dominic C. - I Can Change by LCD Soundsystem
Susie H. - Nightswimming by REM
Gina S. - Sympathy for the Devil by Rolling Stones
Gary C. - Indifference by Eddie Vedder w/Ben Harper
Paolo C. - The Zephyr Song by Red Hot Chili Peppers
Izzy S. - Sunshine, Lollipops, & Rainbows by Lesley Gore
Bob D. - Blowin' in the Wind by Bob Dylan
Vicki D. - You Light Up My Life by Debby Boone
Vicki D. - Wind Beneath My Wings by Bette Midler
Shannon A. - Sunrise by Norah Jones
Victor A. - Dancing Days by Led Zeppelin
Lillia A. - To Believe by Jackie Evancho
Lillia A. - Tonight Tonight by Hot Chelle Rae
Alisia A. - Firework by Katy Perry
Jared A. - Clocks by Coldplay
Jared A. - Paradise by Coldplay
Gavin A. - The Army Goes Rolling Along
AJ D. - Piano Man by Billy Joel
AJ D. - Faster Than My Angels Can Fly by Eric Church
Kristina O. - The Longer The Waiting by Josh Turner
Dan F. - Black Water by Doobie Brothers
Kathy F. - Piano Man by Billy Joel
Michelle H. - A Man Holdin' On (To A Woman Lettin' Go) by Ty Herndon
Michelle H. - Good Stuff by Kenny Chesney
Matt F. - Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley
Matt F. - John Brown by Bob Dylan
Anne Michelle F. - Iris by Goo Goo Dolls
Mary D. - People by Barbra Streisand
Mary D. - Evergreen by Barbra Streisand
Meghan D. - She's Got A Way by Billy Joel
Kelly D. - You Belong With Me by Taylor Swift
Ryan D. - Home by Dierks Bentley
Karly D. - Tonight is the Night by Outasight
Jonathan C. - Fred Jones Part 2 by Ben Folds
Kelley H. - Don't Change by Musiq Soulchild
Todd P. - Seven Bridges Road by the Eagles

No comments:

Post a Comment